Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Man's Chief End is to Glorify God


This excerpt with taken from "The Body of Divinity" by Thomas Watson. It is convicting, but very good.

<><><><><><>

We glorify God by being contented in that state in which Providence has placed us. We give God the glory of his wisdom, when we rest satisfied with what he carves out to us. Thus Paul glorified God. The Lord cast him into as great variety of conditions as any man, "in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft," 2 Cor. 11:23, yet he had learned to be content. Paul could sail either in a storm or a calm; he could be anything that God would have him; he could either want or abound, Phil. 4:13. A good Christian argues thus: It is God that has put me in this condition; he could have raised me higher, if he pleased, but that might have been a snare to me: he has done it in wisdom and love; therefore I will sit down satisfied with my condition. Surely this glorifies God much; God counts himself much honoured by such a Christian. Here says God, is one after mine own heart; let me do what I will with him, I hear no murmuring, he is content. This shows abundance of grace. When grace is crowning, it is not so much to be content; but when grace is conflicting with inconveniences, then to be content is a glorious thing indeed. For one to be content when he is in heaven is no wonder; but to be content under the cross is like a Christian. This man must needs bring glory to God; for he shows to all the world, that though he has little meal in his barrel, yet he has enough in God to make him content: he says, as David, Psalm 16:5, "The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance; the lines are fallen to me in pleasant places."

- Thomas Watson

<><><><><><>

This reminded me of Ps 73:26 where the Word says, "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

I am also reminded of Lam 3:24-25 where scripture says, "I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;

2 Comments:

At September 06, 2005 10:34 PM, Blogger Joe L. said...

Amen Doug. You and I must be on a Watson trip or something. I just posted some work from Watson myself!

SDG,
Joe

 
At September 06, 2005 10:55 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Joe, I will have to take a look at your Watson post. I love reading Watson. He is easy to read and his material if loaded with Scripture and some great gems...Doug

 

Post a Comment

<< Home