Monday, October 13, 2008

"Calvinism is the Gospel, and nothing Else" Spurgeon


"I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel, if we do not preach justification by faith, without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel, unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called, and suffers the children of God to be burned in the fires of damnation after having once believed in Jesus. Such a gospel I abhor."

2 Comments:

At February 24, 2009 8:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

is he saying that those who do not adhere to calvinism are not saved?

i know that i have friends who do not believe in 'calvinism' and are saved....

perhaps what spurgeon was trying to say is that john calvin didn't come up with a new system of thought (i.e. calvinism) but rather preached the gospel for what it clearly states in scripture and it has been passed down to us as 'calvinism' but all it is, is the gospel?

...thoughts?

 
At February 24, 2009 5:22 PM, Blogger Doug said...

I don't believe Spurgeon would say that those who don't adhere to Calvinism are not saved. I once held to the Arminian view before God opened my eyes to his sovereignty and I believe I was saved before I came to understand Calvinism. The truth is that only God truly knows who is saved.

I believe Spurgeon is simply saying what Whitefield once said in different language. Whitefield said, "I cannot see how true humbleness of mind can be attained without a knowledge of it; and though I will not say, hat every one who denies election is a bad man, yet I will say, it is a very bad sign: such a one, whoever he be, I think cannot truly know himself; for, if we deny election, we must, partly at least glory in ourselves; but our redemption is so ordered, that no flesh should glory in the Divine presence; and hence it is, that the pride of man opposes this doctrine, because, according to this doctrine, and no other, "he that glories, must glory only in the Lord."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home